About Me

A young lady, making her way through life, guided by God's incredible love that just won't let go. I walk, I falter, I float I fall, I fail and yet I rise again For there is something that compels me LOVE It’s so amazing, so divine. I am His His treasure His beloved His jewel His darling!

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A real special day :)

Today is a very special day for me in many ways, but as I thought of
what to write, nothing seemed enough to express the words in my heart
till I stumbled on this version of 1 Corintians 13 in a book I am
reading and it is not just the Bible passage to read but a prayer I
long to say daily. I don't care that I am not yet married, but the
picture of this woman is who I want to be.

I hope it blesses you as you read along:)

1 Corintians 13 as written by Sharon Jaynes

If I teach Bible study classes, volunteer for women's ministry, and
sing in the choir, but do not love my husband, I am only a resounding
gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have a college degree, high paying
job, successful career, but do not love my husband, I am emotionally
and spiritually bankrupt. If I have faith that can move mountains, am
quick to pray for those in need, and even have half the Bible
memorized, but do not love my husband, I am disobedient and do not
please God. If I keep a spotless house, maintain a well-manicured
lawn, and prepare nutritionally balanced meals, but do not love my
husband, it is all for naught. Hired hands can do as much.

Lord help me to be patient. Help me to be kind. I pray that I will not
envy others who have seemingly happier marriages and husbands who are
more helpful around the house or thoughtful or romantic. I pray that I
will never lift myself up by putting my husband down. Lord, I pray
that I will not be a proud woman who refuses to listen to her husband,
who always has to have the last word, who always thinks her way is
best. I pray that I will not be rude to my husband with curt comments,
disregard his needs, or be ungrateful for all he does and is, but
treat him with respect and honor that the king of a castle deserves.

I pray that I will not be self-serving, always thinking about what is
best for me, but thinking of what would be best for my husband. I pray
that I will not be angered easily, not hold a grudge, not keep a
record of wrongs, not plan ways to retaliate, and not use my tongue as
a weapon to cause pain. I pray that I will not rejoice and say "I told
you so" when things don't work out the way my husband hoped.

Lord above all, I pray that my husband will see me as his chief
cheerleader who desires to rejoice with him in his victories, both big
and small. That he will see me as one who longs to protect our
marriage and our love. Help me to create a warm and loving environment
in which he feels safe, wanted and revered. I pray that You will give
me endurance when things get tough. Help the word "divorce" to never
enter my mind or cross my lips as an option. Lord, I know that love
never fails and that You never fail. Fill me with Your Holy Spirit to
give me the endurance to stand up under trials and love my husband as
You would have me love him- till death do us part.

In Jesus name, amen


Wow, isn't that just a power packed prayer and a true to life way or
reading the "Love chapter" as 1 Corintians 13 is sometimes called.
While reading this prayer earlier today, I remembered when I first got
fascinated with this chapter of the Bible. A certain someone ;) told
me that he could not just use the word love because he was not sure he
could embody what 1 Corintians 13 said it entailed. That statement
made me pause and I said to myself, for someone to be particular about
being able to live out the total details of that chapter, he must
really be on to something and is indeed a rear gem to treasure.

But now I see it much clearer and I can confess to you all (with my
face covered ashamed of the way I've been carrying on), I've not been
the lady described above, I've been the opposite of practically
everything.
I do pray for forgiveness.

I'm starting over. I need to be that woman. She really is gorgeous,
and I want to be that and whatever else God makes of me.

So ladies, who's walking this road with me?

3 comments:

  1. Interesting interpretation, not one I totally agree with though. But God will meet us all at our different levels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thoroughly love this prayer......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I love this in. I'll be walking this road by His grace, mercy, and loving kindness. He's the One who forgives us even when we miss a turn on the road forward.

    ReplyDelete